I have spent most of 2010 either catching up on classics, or snuggling up with my boyfriend watching horror films. I rarely make time for the movies, and hate to spend $13, unless the movie is really worth it. But I have managed to come up with 10 whole movies that I loved this past year.
- Book of Eli. A film about the apocalypse with Gary Oldman in it? I’m sold. Add on the fact that the cinematography is absolutely stunning and I’ll be a fan for life.
- The Crazies. The original film is by George Romero, and the trailer was absolutely amazing. Also, nearly any movie with Timothy Olyphant can get me to the theaters.
- Winter’s Bone. I just watched this one the other day, and I agree that it lives up to the hype. Jennifer Lawrence is absolutely amazing, and the Ozark setting is terrifyingly beautiful.
- The Kids Are Alright. The cast is amazing, and the story is quirky. With buzz about Annette Benning receiving an Oscar nom, I can only hope it will come to fruition.
- Monsters. I loved this low-budget sci-fi thriller. It wasn’t at all what I expected, but the relationship between our protagonists is worth the watch.
- Machete. Since the trailer was made in 2007 with the release of Grindhouse, I have been counting down the days for this film. I love Danny Trejo having a starring role, and Robert Rodriguez always makes me laugh and cheer with the sheer ridiculousness of it all.
- Easy A. I love Emma Stone, I really, really do. And this was one of those stupid movies I wanted to see by myself with a giant cherry coke on a lonely afternoon.
- Shutter Island. Sure, I knew what was coming at the end, but I can’t help the fascination with sanitariums and former methodology of dealing with mental illness. Also, Leo.
- Sex and the City 2. A second film was totally unnecessary, and it didn’t even take place in New York, but I couldn’t help it. I still love those ladies.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. No explanation necessary.
There are still so many movies I haven’t gotten a chance to see from 2010 yet, Toy Story 3, Black Swan, True Grit, Hereafter, The Killer Inside Me, I Am Love, not to mention a slew of documentaries I can’t wait to watch. It seems like I have a lot of catching up to do!