I was lucky enough to live in Victoria, BC when I was in my easily impressionable college years. Victoria was a wonderful and very green place to live. Nearly everyone I knew rode a bike or took public transportation, carried a reusable water bottle, recycled everything, and ate primarily vegetarian diets. Many of these positive habits have stayed with me throughout my young adult years and have continued to influence the way I live and treat the world around me. Here are a few of my favorite, and super easy ways to be green:
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you whenever you can. Just read a few of these facts on the harm of plastics if you need any convincing.
- Keep a reusable fabric bag on you whenever possible, yet again, here are some facts about plastic bags that will rock your world.
- Try to eat primarily vegetarian and vegan meals. Not only will your body thank you, but you will be taking a great step in reducing your carbon footprint and environmental impact.
- Shop for local and seasonal produce if it’s available in your area. Or, better yet, you could start your own garden and grow your own.
- Compost your veggie scraps. I just bought a really great compost pail for my counter top that I can use during the week and then take my scraps to my local market or community garden for compost use. It reduces garbage, thereby reducing the plastic bags I’m using as well as the energy used in garbage collection.
What ways do you try to reduce your impact on the environment?