At the beginning of every year I evaluate what I have in my closet, what I need to get rid of, and what I need to add as my wardrobe continues to evolve. After this, I make a list in a notebook I keep with me, so that when I go shopping I don’t stray from my needs and impulse shop. As with most women, as I’m getting older, I’m starting to value quality pieces that can work in a number of outfits, and last for years to come, while giving up the trendy pieces I used to covet in previous years.
Here are a few of my must have pieces for 2012:
- Classic Trench Coat. I am dying for a versatile, perfectly fitted trench coat that can do double duty over jeans for work or over a nice dress for dinners out. I’m in love with this Burberry Prorsum trench, but with a $1895 price tag, I think I’ll be looking for more affordable alternatives.
- Ray-Ban Wayfarers. These made last years list, but unfortunately I left them in the back of the taxi coming back from Florida. I lived in these sunglasses, and will absolutely be buying another pair this year.
- Chunky knit sweater. I have an extensive collection of cardigans, but I own hardly any pullover sweaters. I’m dying for a chunky knit one for cold nights on the beach, loungy weekends, and everyday wear. This silk covered knit by Risto is the perfect blend of girly and casual, I feel like I could wear it with anything.
- Simple, sweet, flowy dresses. Thanks to Pinterest, I’ve discovered that I am most attracted to simple dresses that I can wear with multiple layers in the winter, and are light enough to be comfortable in during the sweltering summers. This DVF dress fits all those needs to a T.
- Round, obnoxious bauble earrings. I’ve never been much for flashy jewelry, but lately, I’ve been lusting after a pair of obnoxiously shiny, yet ladylike and simple earrings. These from Kenneth Jay Lane fit the bill perfectly, and don’t break the bank.
- Perfect, neutral ballet flats. These were another from last years list, but I never quite managed to find the perfect pair. Unfortunately I fell in love with these Reed Krakoff pair, but can’t manage to justify $500, fingers crossed I’ll find something similar.
- Silk blouses, lots and lots of silk blouses. I have become obsessed with silk blouses, with jeans, with pencil skirts, tied over dresses, and even with shorts in the summer time. This Equipment blouse is perfect, a neutral color simple enough for work, but the star pattern makes it fun enough to pair with sequins for a night out.
- Boyfriend jeans. I used to live in a pair of over sized flare jeans I would roll up to make my own style of boyfriend jeans, but when the crotch ripped out from too much wear, I decided it was time for a new pair. Being short, I’ve yet to find any that hit at the right place, but I love the wash and cut of this pair.
- Neutral handbag. I have a ridiculous collection of bags (well ridiculous for New York closet size), but most are too small to hold all the things one needs to survive in day to day life in this city, and the rest are in bright colors. This Botkier bag is so perfect, I will be dreaming about it.
- New running shoes. My old pair have seen way more than the amount of miles a pair of shoes is meant to see. I love these Adidas shoes for their color and style, but they’ve also been highly rated as great running shoes.
What are your must needs for 2012?