I love June. Not only is it my birthday month, but it is also Jason and my anniversary month. So, we usually try to combine celebrations by escaping for a couple days. This year, we’re going to Fire Island, where we’ve rented a house for a few days of sun, sand, and relaxation.
But packing for Fire Island always presents a challenge. Not only are you packing clothing, but also any entertainment (hello iPad and beach reading), and all of your food and alcohol. This presents a bit of a challenge. How do you pack it all without weighing yourself down for the journey.
Here’s my packing plan for the trip:
- 2 bikini’s (1 will inevitably always be wet)
- 1 pair of shorts- black, white, or neutral
- 1 skirt- can be neutral, but I prefer a pop of color. This is great for quick trips to the market, or a night out
- 1 pair of jeans/pants- just in case the nights are chillier than expected. These are also great for travel.
- Sundress- A do-it-all piece. Can be thrown over a bathing suit, worn during the day, and even double as a dressier piece for night
- White button down cotton shirt- this can be combine with shorts or a skirt for an evening out, or over your bathing suit for a super chic cover-up
- Long sleeve boatneck stripe shirt. A true oceanside classic. Can be paired with anything and is timelessly chic for pictures.
- Cardigan- could be neutral or bold depending on your palette. I look for a be all cardigan that matches the sundress, shorts, and skirt.
- Chambray shirt or denim jacket- depending on your climate. I’m banking on warm nights so I’ll stick with a chambray, but denim truly is classic and looks great with everything!
- 1 pair flip flops or sandals. I’m packing a pair in neutral flats that are both dressy and casual.
- 1 pair of sneakers. I love Keds or Chuck Taylors for the beach. A preppy beach staple, and oh so practical.
- Gold watch. My gold watch seems to go with everything these days, and while I won’t wear it on the beach, it will be good to put on to keep track of the water taxi at night.
- Gold necklace. This Forever 21 necklace has been a staple in my closet for a while. It seems to work with everything.
- Colorful scarf. I’m packing one or two scarves this trip to be wrapped around my head, use as belts, or around bags for a flashy accessory.
- Sunglasses. Usually I have a specific beach pair of sunglasses that I take on vacation. I try to make sure that they aren’t something I’m particularly attached to so if they get damaged or lost I’m not hearbroken.
- Sunblock. Duh. I like Banana Boat baby sunblock.
- Face wash. To get all the sand, sunblock, and sweat off my face at the end of the day.
- Waterproof mascara. I may not put too much makeup on when I’m in the sun, but a good waterproof mascara is a must!
- Face shimmer. Mostly for night but maybe I’ll swipe a little on during the day!
- Lipstick. My signature color. MAC Lady Danger. Perfect for night!
Phew. It may not seem like too much, but it still seems like a lot to me. What are your favorite things to pack on a vacation getaway?