In the past few years, The Classicist has taken root. What used to be reserved for women with WASP backgrounds or former all-women’s universities has become increasingly popular thanks to women like Zooey Deschanel. She makes it okay for girls to be well-educated, smart, and cultured. She is the true Matchbook girl.
- Wardrobe: Printed dresses, ballet flats, cashmere cardigans, Kate Spade
- Habitat: San Francisco, New York, Connecticut
- Travel: The Cape, Martha’s Vineyard, Paris
- Background: Smith, Wesleyan, Sarah Lawrence
- Role Models: Zooey Deschanel, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Michelle Williams
- Hobbies: Reading, sailing, museums, cultural events, badminton
- Cons: This is pretty tough if you don’t have family money to support the lifestyle
I feel like The Classicist is exactly who I would want to be, but living in New York, that’s fairly tough. Not only can I not afford the lifestyle, but I don’t seem to have the natural style that allows me to look oh-so-darling in fitted dresses and flats.
But the wonderful thing about The Classicist is that so many of the interests and hobbies are easy. Classic novels are readily available, and being in New York, it’s easy to go see as many cultural exhibits as my finances will allow. Who’s your favorite classicist? What do you admire most about these women?
Coming up…The Rockstar